Pellow continues great results

Dubbo professional triathlete Matt Pellow has continued his early season form at the half ironman event at Penrith on Sunday finishing sixth in a strong field.

The Ironman 70.3 Western Sydney was at it’s predictable extreme weather conditions – radiantly hot and humid. With very little shade or protection, Pellow finished early enough to beat the heat in a total time of 4 hours two minutes exactly.

Pellow lost some contact with the lead swimmer as the leading group of professionals created a single file and came out in the second group at the Sydney International Regatta Centre about a minute behind the leader on 25 minutes 37 seconds for the 1900 metre swim.

Matt Pellow averaged almost 42km/hr for the 90km big leg on Sunday
Matt Pellow averaged almost 42km/hr for the 90km big leg on Sunday

In one of Pellow’s strongest ever rides over the 90 kilometre bike leg averaging almost 42 km/hr in 2 hours nine minutes before commencing the half marathon run of 21 kilometres with tight hamstrings. This recurring injury has hampered Pellow’s normally strongest leg since the initial injury in January this year in Auckland. He finished the run in 1 hour 25 minutes.


Five fellow Dubbo Triathletes also completed with all starting later than the professionals where the radiant temperatures from the bitumen surface took their toll in association with the humidity.

The water temperature was above the 24C level so wetsuits were not allowed to assist with buoyancy. Gary Barber was the quickest swimmer amongst the Dubbo age groupers in 37 minutes followed by Nick Wilson on 40 minutes two minutes in front of Lachlan Roach who was a further one minute in front of Andrew Stanley. Damien Kelly finished his swim in 49 minutes.

Barber fired on the bike in a personal best time for the distance in 2 hours 34 minutes, two minutes in front of Roach. Stanley finished in 2 hours 52 minutes. Kelly finished the bike in 3 hours 8 minutes, eight minutes in front of Wilson.

The normally quick runners were all hampered by the hot weather conditions with four showers installed by organisers to help reduce the effects of high core body temperatures. Competitors were melting like caramellos and cramping was occurring everywhere. It was a war of attrition.

Roach was the quickest of the age groupers in a little over two hours to finish in 5 hours 32 minutes, ten minutes clear of Stanley who had an extraordinary race also winning the Dubbo Triathlon Club internal handicap award.

Barber was not suited to the run conditions and finished the event in 6 hours 10 minutes 24 minutes in front of Kelly who was just happy to cross the line to collect yet another finishers medal in a decorated career. Wilson had to withdraw after the bike leg with a hamstring strain.

The next Dubbo race of the Dubbo Triathlon Club will be on Sunday 7th December with registrations opening at 2:30pm at Ollie Robbins Oval.

Further informationĀ on our Club Races page.